Indonesia Prepares Six Major Nursery Centers to Produce 51 Million Seedlings per Year
NusantaraPol - Indonesian President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) directly inspected the Rumpin Modern Nursery in Rumpin District, Bogor Regency, West Java, Friday (19/11/2021).
"We want to show that Indonesia is serious in dealing with the impacts of climate change and we show this nursery center which can produce approximately 12 million seeds a year," said Jokowi, as quoted from an official press statement.
|President Jokowi invited a number of ambassadors from friendly countries to visit the Rumpin Modern Nursery, in Bogor, West Java, Friday (19/11/2021). (Photo: BPMI Setpres/Muchlis Jr)|
The tree seedlings prepared in Rumpin Modern Nursery will later be planted in critical lands.
“Earlier I was shown about albasia or sengon seedlings, then eucalyptus seedlings, then there are teak seedlings, there are also mahogany seedlings which we all produce here.We hope that later in January these seedlings will start to come out to be planted in places that often flood, often landslides, and in critical lands which require rehabilitation,” Jokowi explained.
The President hopes that by building more nurseries like the one in Rumpin, the facilities can help to improve the environment and deal with the impacts of climate change from the upstream side.
Jokowi is targeting to build approximately 30 similar nursery centers in the next three years.
"I will also force all palm oil companies and mining companies to also prepare nurseries like this so that there will also be improvements in the environment where the mining exist, where the oil palm plantations exist," said President Jokowi, Firday, November 19, 2021.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Environment and Forestry Siti Nurbaya Bakar in her written statement said that since 2020, six nursery centers have been prepared and will gradually be built.
Some of the nursery centers to be built include:
- Rumpin Nursery Center in West Java, covering an area of 128 hectares, capacity of 16 million seedlings per year.
- IKN Nursery Center in Production Forest Area, East Kalimantan, covering an area of 120 hectares, with a capacity of 15 million seedlings per year.
- Lake Toba Nursery Center in the Protected Forest Area of Sibisa Block, North Sumatra, covering an area of 37.25 hectares, capacity of 5 million seedlings per year.
- Labuan Bajo Nursery Center, in the Satar-Kodi Production Forest Area, East Nusa Tenggara, covering an area of 30 hectares, capacity of 5 million seedlings per year.
- The Mandalika Nursery Center located in the Protected Forest Area of Rembitan-Sengkol, West Nusa Tenggara, covering an area of 35.25 hectares, capacity of 5 million seedlings per year.
- Likupang Nursery Center in Batu Putih TWA Area, North Sulawesi, covering an area of 30.33 hectares, with a capacity of 5 million seedlings per year.
On completion, the six nursery centers will produce a total of 51 million seedlings per year.
“The Rumpin Nursery Center will be an example for the completion of the other five nurseries. The Rumpin Nursery Center is a public-private partnership (KLHK-PUPR-APRIL) work model. The main work of the nursery has been completed. Seed production is currently 1 million a month or 12 million a year," said the Minister of Environment and Forestry.
The President arrived at the Rumpin Modern Nursery at around 09.33 local time with a number of ambassadors from friendly countries. They are: the United States Ambassador Sung Yong Kim, the British Ambassador Owen Jenkins, the Canadian Ambassador Cameron MacKay, the European Union Ambassador Vincent Piket, and Country Director of the World Bank Satu Kahkonen.
The President invited the ambassadors to tour the nursery's facilities, such as the germination area, production house area, acclimatization area, and open planting areas.